What is Notary Public?
A notary public is a qualified lawyer who has been selected to verify the authenticity of a document in order to reassure a foreign country that the document is valid and can be relied on.
The notary will check a person’s identity, their legal capacity, and their understanding of the document to be verified. They will also check a person’s authority to sign the document.
The services of a notary public may be needed by a UK citizen who wishes to use documents in a foreign country, or by a non-UK citizen who wishes to use documents in the UK. In certain circumstances, a business may also need the help of a notary public.
Common uses of Notary Public:
- Transfer of Property
- Purchase or exchange of property abroad
- Matters relating to marriage abroad
- Sponsor relatives from abroad
- Adopting children
- Getting a copy of a passport verified by a notary
- Have commercial translations and documents verified by a notary